Years of getting out tough stains on your kid’s uniforms by hand can take its toll on your patience and body. Relying on maids often do not guarantee the best results either. If you are reading this article, that means you have finally decided to get yourself a washing machine. Now that you have made up your mind, hundreds of options in the market can easily cause confusion and panic! Buying a new washing machine would make a difference to you and your family, however, choosing the wrong one might increase your problems.
In this article, we attempt to save you from any heartburn and laundry troubles by sharing simple facts about two major washer types. So are you ready to make a well-informed buying decision between Top Load vs Front Load washing machines? Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Top Load vs Front Load Washing Machines
- Washing machines in India come with a basket capacity ranging from 5 to 10 kg. So if you have got a bigger family you will need bigger capacity.
- Compared to top load machines, front load machines tubs have extra capacity.
- The absence of agitators inside front load machines and electric motors placed behind the horizontal tub provides you with extra space for more clothes to be washed.
Washing Machine Size:
- Overall physical space the washing machines matter as well since you might have limited space to dispense.
- Top load drum door would be opened vertically at the top whereas in front load door opens outwards requiring more space.
- Water hookups for any kind may need at least six inches of space behind the washing machine.
- Also, front load machines are huge and heavy, which might not be ideal for smaller apartments.
- Higher energy star rating on electric appliances suggests less power consumption, but that’s not all.
- In India, we do not need to heat water or run dryer cycles with front load machines like other countries. We usually wash using cold water and clothes dry naturally in Indian weather.
- In fact, top load machines save electricity due to fewer cycles as compared to front load machines.
- If you experience frequent power cuts then top load machines are a good choice for you.
Detergent and Water Consumption:
- Quality and quantity of the detergent matter a lot while washing soiled clothes. Top load /front load, automatic detergent dispensers in high-end machines intelligently sense required detergent amount.
- Top load machines need the tub to be filled with water in order to soak and rinse clothes properly.
- Front load machines save on water bills, of course, they need high pressure and continuous flow of water as well.
- The sprinkling action to soak and tumbling process in front load takes care of banging off dirt from clothes using both less water and detergent.
Washing Method and Cleaning Results:
- Modern washing machine models perform washing actions like tumbling, spinning, scrubbing, rolling, swinging etc. to achieve better washing results.
- More the motion styles, rotations or revolutions better is the cleaning result.
- It is a myth that top loader machines have an edge over front loader in terms of cleaning results due to the agitator/pulsator action.
- The truth is that top load machines churn your clothes tangling, seizing and knotting them while washing which may decrease clothes’ lifespan.
- The front load washer is gentle on clothes.
- It tumbles the laundry around the drum containing vanes or tiny opinions. This gently cleans dirt when the clothes are lifted and put under showers during wash cycles in front load.
- Top load machines use shorter and faster cycles that typically take 15-30 minutes.
- The front load, on the other hand, can take up to one hour depending on how soiled the clothes are.
- Also, top load machines come with fewer wash programs as opposed to their front load counterparts.
- Frontload machines fall under the expensive category while top load machines are most often competitively priced.
- The price for frontloading machines ranges from INR 25,000 to 60,000 while top load machines start from 14000 and can range up to 35,0000.
- The reason lies in the fact that top load machines are simple in design and lightweight.
- Frontload machines come with more compact and advanced design resulting in high-end costs. The only relief is front load machines decrease water consumption by almost half and ultimately saves on water bills.
- Top load machines lead in terms of comfort, as laundry-doers can simply stand to load the laundry while with a front load you need to bend /duck to load it.
- If you are thinking about quieter wash cycles because your washing machine is placed near the living room, a front load is your option.
Last Minute Clothes Addition:
- At times you might miss on adding in some laundry that needed a wash and start the cycle. At such occasions, top load machines come handy as they allow additions in the middle of the cycle.
- You cannot stop the wash cycle in front load machines to add clothes at the last moment. You will have to wait until the cycle completes.
Top load machines are simpler to use and if they fit into other criteria described above then you definitely won’t be a lonely top load owner. A significant shift towards front load washing machines from top load over few years suggests that front load performance is far better than top load in many aspects, like less water consumption, higher washing capacity, fabric friendly, less noisy and relevant wash programs. The major drawbacks of front load machines include higher purchasing cost, higher repair cost, higher space requirement and no interruption mid-washing cycle. If front load fits your budget, then they come with better perks over their water-guzzling top load counterparts for sure. We hope our blog on Top Load vs Front Load Washing Machines has been beneficial to you. Keep browsing for such useful content on this website.