Pressure cookers are one of the most common appliances you are likely to find in an Indian kitchen. This is because pressure cookers tend to cook faster than the other conventional cooking methods; hence helping to save time and energy while cooking. It also ensures that more vitamins and minerals are retained in the food.
Pressure cookers are easy to use and maintain and they also come in different mound and types. There are the stainless steel types, the modern hard anodized pressure cookers, and the aluminum ones which tend to have stood the test of time.
Also Read: Best Electric Rice Cookers in India
If you’re looking for the best pressure cooker for your kitchen, you’re at the right place.
5 Best Pressure Cookers in India – Reviews
In this article will review the top 5 best pressure cookers you can find in India, together with a buying guide in order to help you in making the right choice when purchasing a pressure cooker.
1. Prestige Popular Aluminium Pressure Cooker
The pressure cooker is made from high quality high-grade aluminum and it is also available in a range of sizes you can choose from, depending on your requirements. The sizes range from 2 liters to 20 liters. It comes with an excellent grip due to the comfortable nature of its handles. This pressure cooker also offers a high level of safety due to the presence of a metallic safety plug and the gasket release system.
- Made from high quality virgin aluminum
- Has a metallic safety plug and gasket release system for peace of mind
- It is compatible with gas stove
- Has comfortable handles for an easy grip
- It is available in a wide range of sizes to choose from.
- It is economical since it is made from aluminum.
- Its aluminum body makes it light to handle.
- Aluminum pressure cookers are not durable as compared to the other types.
- Aluminum tends to react with food acids; hence it is not so healthy.
Planning to purchase this model?
2. Pigeon By Stovekraft Favourite Induction Base Aluminium Pressure Cooker with Outer Lid
This pressure cooker is made of high-grade aluminum and it also comes with a sturdy body that makes it an excellent choice. It features 4 levels of safety; hence making it a safe kitchen appliance. It is easy to grip due to the ergonomic design of its handle and it also has a capacity of 3 liters; making it an ideal choice for small families.
- Fits for both induction and gas cooking.
- It is made from high quality aluminum.
- Package contents: 1-piece Induction Base Pressure Cooker with Outer Lid (3 liters)
- It has energy saving features.
- Has 4-level safety making it a safe appliance.
- Made from high-grade virgin aluminum.
- It is not fit for use on induction stoves
Planning to purchase this model?
3. Hawkins Contura Hard Anodized Pressure Cooker
This cooking equipment is very durable due to its anodized body with a stainless steel lid. It comes in a 3-liter capacity and it also has a flat base with a thickness of 3.25mm. With this cooker, you are assured of good health due to its anodized body which does not tend to react with food acids. It also comes with an inside fitting lid; which is an additional safety feature as it ensures that the cover does not open unless the pressure inside the cooker reduces considerably.
- Curved body for easy stirring.
- Black body makes it heat faster.
- Hard anodized body with a stainless steel lid.
- Does not corrode or react with food
- Flat base allows to comfortably rest on the gas stoves.
- Ideal for small families.
- Anodized body does not react with food acids.
- Compatible with the induction cook tops.
Planning to purchase this model?
4. Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
The Hawkins stainless steel pressure cookers come in a variety of sizes ranging from 2-liters to 20-liters. This 5-liter cooker is also compatible with the induction stoves. It comes with a flat base and an inner lid. This pressure cooker also works well on gas and it is very durable with a manufacturer’s warranty of 5 years.
- Base stays flat and does not bugle or separate.
- Induction compatible and also works on gas.
- Can also be used for frying.
- Material: stainless steel.
- Easy to clean and extremely hygienic
- Compatible with induction stoves
- Safe to use due to the presence of an internal locking system.
- Flat base and does not bulge.
- Stainless steel base hence it tends to consume more fuel
Planning to purchase this model?
5. Prestige Deluxe plus Mini Induction Base Hard Anodized Pressure Handi
This 3.3-liter cooker is also compatible with the induction cooktops. It ensures an even distribution of heat due to its flat, heavy base. This cooker comes fitted with a pressure indicator in order to enable for convenient cooking.
- It has a pressure indicator.
- Controlled Gasket Release System.
- Handles have double screws for a sturdy grip.
- Heavier body
- Compatible with induction stoves.
- Anodized body which does not react with food acids.
- Long-lasting appliance
- Odd shape tends to restrict the type of utensil you keep inside for cooking.
Planning to purchase this model?
Best Pressure Cooker Brands In India
In case you are wondering on how to find the best pressure cooker brand in India, then do not worry as there are a few reputable brands that make some of the best pressure cookers in India.
Prestige pressure cookers are known to be simple, easy to use and also durable. They have specialized in making small-sized pressure cooker models that can comfortably fit in any kitchen with their main focus being durability and high quality.
Hawkins cookers limited is among the best and trusted Indian companies since it has been in the cookware industry since 1959. They come with an excellent design, safer styling and with an inside fitting lid. They are best known for prioritizing quality over quantity.
This is another brand that is making good raves in the pressure cooker market; hence it has become a good choice for many people. They are ergonomically designed with easy gripping handles that stay cool so that you can use them at all temperatures.
This is another name that gives the above mentioned brands a run for their money. Pigeon is one of the most preferred brands when it comes to 3-liter pressure cookers. You can certainly trust on their performance and efficiency as they are certainly top players in the pressure cooker industry.
Types of Pressure Cookers
Pressure cookers can generally be classified into two categories: The electric pressure cookers, also known as the rice cookers, and the stove-top pressure cookers. In this article, we shall dwell mainly on the stove-top pressure cookers as they are the most common and widely used types in most Indian kitchens.
We can classify these types of pressure cookers depending on the material they are made of:
Hard Anodized Pressure Cookers
The following are the characteristics associated with these types of cookers:
- They are the most expensive
- Durable and always look new and shiny for a very long time
- Stain free as they are made from corrosion-resistant materials
- Do not react to acidic ingredients
Stainless steel pressure cookers
These types of pressure cookers have the following features:
- Heavier as compared to the hard anodized pressure cookers.
- Stainless steel does not react with acidic ingredients; making them healthy and safe.
- They can be cleaned using metal scrubs.
- Can develop stains when you use hard water for cooking.
- Cheaper as compared to the hard anodized cookers.
Aluminum Pressure cookers
These are one of the earliest pressure cookers in the market and very few people prefer to buy them. The following are some of the characteristics associated with these cookers:
- You can safely use a metal scrub when cleaning them
- They are not very durable as they tend to wear away with time.
- Light and excellent conductors of heat.
- Reacts to acidic ingredients; hence not healthy to use.
- Most economical to use.
Best Pressure Cookers Buying Guides and Tips
The following buying guides and tips will come in handy when you are looking to purchase a pressure cooker:
The size of the pressure cooker you are intending to buy will depend on the size of family you also have. An average Indian family of 3-4 people would require a pressure cooker ranging from 3-5 liters. On the other hand, a joint or bigger family will require a pressure cooker ranging from 5-8 liters.
Purchasing a smaller cooker will mean that you have to cook multiple times; hence resulting to wastage of time and fuel. A larger cooker will require you to use more fuel and effort when cleaning it. This means that you should always be very careful when choosing the size of your pressure cooker.
Compatibility with the dish washer
You should make sure that the pressure cooker you intend to buy is safe for use in a dishwasher machine. Some pressure cookers like the hard anodized types are not dishwasher safe and others like the aluminum and stainless steel cookers are.
Since most Indians are known for using salt and acidic content in their cooking, you should make sure that the materials used to manufacture the pressure cookers do not react to these substances. The anodized and stainless steel cookers are safer in this regard as compared to the aluminum types which tend to be more vulnerable.
It is important to make sure that you purchase a pressure cooker that will last long since these are not items that we buy on a regular basis. For durability, the stainless steel and hard anodized pressure cookers are the most durable.
The top pressure cooker brands do offer extended warranties on their products. Therefore, make sure to go for the brand that offers you a maximum warranty.
The above discussed buying guide and tips will ensure that you make the right choice when looking for a pressure cooker that best suits your requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Anyone looking to spend their hard earned cash on a good quality and long lasting product will tend to have a lot of questions going through their minds on how they can get the best out of their purchase. In order to help you clear some doubts, the following are some of the frequently asked questions concerning the best pressure cookers in India:
How do pressure cookers work?
These are air-tight cooking pots that normally take advantage of the steam in the sealed food for cooking it. This means that the vapor in the sealed liquid does not get a chance to escape; hence helping to increase the air pressure and the liquid’s boiling temperatures which, in turn, combine to speed up the cooking process.
How safe is it to use a pressure cooker?
If used in a proper way, pressure cookers can be some of the best cooking equipment as they are normally designed to cause a minimum of damage should they rupture. Make sure that you never force a pressure cooker to open as they normally produce high-pressure steam that could end up causing steam burns. Also, when working with the older versions, you should always ensure that the valves on the lids are properly screwed.
Between a stovetop cooker and an electric cooker, which one is better?
An electric pressure cooker tends to be easier to use as compared to the stovetop cooker. The downside of it is that it operates at a lower temperature. Stovetop cookers on the other hand touch a gauge pressure limit of 15 psi; hence the reason most cooking recipes are always prepared in order to comply with the stovetop cookers.
Is my pressure cooker working properly?
In order to ensure that the pressure cooker is working properly, always ensure that the following is observed:
- Make sure that the pressure cooker handle is correctly fitted on the pan.
- The pressure control should be jiggling gently.
- The pressure cooker lid should always remain closed.
Buying a pressure cooker should not be a decision you make once you have arrived at the store, but it is something that should be well thought and planned beforehand. Make sure you understand your needs well so that you may end up choosing the best pressure cookers that will help you achieve your needs. Therefore, comparing different options will help you in making the right decision.
The electric rice cooker is the best to substitute for the pressure cooker, it is not harmful at all from your health point of view. The food cooked in it preserves the nutrients required for health.
Wonderful article review, very informative, and helpful information. BUt you have covered only five. Although they are best and famous brands that available in the market you could cover at least ten pressure cookers as customer could get more information about the Pressure cooker. But I found some new information from your article. One of them is Hard metal Andolized pressure cooker.
Thank you, Author, For sharing such an informative post.
Hopefully waiting for your response and next article in the future,
I’m glad you liked the review and thanks for your suggestion. I’ll definitely think about adding more cookers to the list.
You have written a very useful article. This article provides useful information regarding cookers. The article also helps in purchasing cookers. You have explained the Buying guide very well. You have successfully tried to solve all the doubts under the FAQ. Congratulations.
Thanks. Glad you found it useful.